Jeffrey D. Brunson
Jeff Brunson joined the firm in 2004 and practices out of both the Idaho Falls and Rexburg offices. He is experienced in many different areas of civil litigation and has a great understanding of the procedural rules and requirements of litigation. His practice is focused primarily on business and estate litigation. He represents both plaintiffs and defendants and he is licensed in Idaho, Wyoming, Washington and North Dakota.
As a member of the litigation team, Jeff is aggressive, persistent, and relentless in pursuit of his clients’ objectives. Jeff believes that clients have a right to be well informed on the status of their cases. He prides himself on promptly returning calls and communicating openly with clients.
Jeff enjoys reading, running, tennis, and managing fake sports teams. In an alternate universe Jeff would be the general manager for the Boston Redsox.
- University of Idaho, Juris Doctor 2004 – Cum Laude
- Idaho Law Review, Member/Technical Editor 2002-2004
- Brigham Young University, BS Finance 2000
- Successfully tried as lead counsel business fraud and breach of contract case involving two businesses. Obtained a jury verdict over half a million dollars and successfully defended trade secret and breach of contract claims over a half a million dollars.
- Successfully defended dental professional from claims of violating non-compete and breaching fiduciary duties. Obtained favorable summary judgment decision leading to resolution.
- Successfully tried multi-week jury trial representing business in complex business fraud and breach of contract case. Obtained a favorable jury verdict that was upheld on appeal. Successfully defended fraud and breach of contract claims. Resulted in judgment of over one million dollars.
- Successfully represented summer-sales business seeking to enforce non-compete and asserting breach of duty of loyalty against former student recruiter. Defeated summary judgment motion leading to favorable settlement.
- Successfully represented trucking business in multi-state breach of contract case. Obtained order requiring defendant to show cause as to why prejudgment writ should not issue as to equipment in dispute. Obtained favorable settlement.
- Successfully represented business professional seeking to enforce non-compete and contract against departing partner. Successfully negotiated favorable resolution.
Trust & Estate Litigation
- Successfully tried and defended Estate as lead counsel claims brought by potential beneficiary of undue influence, lack of capacity, and insane delusion.
- Successfully represented professional trustee in multi-party trust dispute regarding conduct of trustor before death.
- Successfully represented beneficiaries in claim against Estate involving holographic will. Client’s testimony at evidentiary hearing led to negotiation of favorable outcome.
- Successfully defended professional trustee from claims brought by beneficiaries of trust asserting breach of fiduciary duty on part of trustee. Obtained complete dismissal of claims in favor of professional trustee.
Real Estate / Construction Litigation
- Successfully represented construction company in dispute with former owner. Tried case as lead counsel in arbitration and obtained favorable result enforcing buyout of contract.
- Successfully tried and defended homebuilder in claims brought by developer and business partner pertaining to joint subdivisions. Jury agreed with our interpretation of the operating agreement. Obtained award of attorney fees against developer.
- Successfully obtained injunctive relief at evidentiary hearing on behalf of financial institution in claims against cattle rancher.
- Successfully represented contractor in lien foreclosure case involving multiple contractors. Obtained favorable summary judgment decision finding lien prepared on contractor’s behalf legally enforceable.
- Successfully defended servient landowners in prescriptive easement and implied easement case resulting in agreement that there was no easement.
- Successfully defended contractor at trial from claims brought by purchaser of building significantly reducing damages sought. Obtained complete relief for contractor pursuant to cross-claims against business partners.
- President of Beard St. Clair Gaffney PA from 2012 – 2015.
- Chaired firm’s executive committee to deal with ever changing firm issues.
- Led and developed firm strategy.
- Business Defamation: Keep it to yourself, published in the Standard Journal August 2014.
- The Business of the BBB, published in the Standard Journal February 2014.
- Trademarks Provide Value to Businesses, published in the Standard Journal November 2013.
- Protect Your Trade, published in the Standard Journal January 2013.
- Avoiding Hiring Entanglements, published in the Standard Journal November 2012.
- Non-Competes – Signing Your Freedom Away, published in the Standard Journal September 2011.
- A Handshake Away from Litigation, published in the Standard Journal August 2011.
- How to Use a Business Lawyer Without Gagging, published in the Standard Journal March 2011.
Trusts & Estates
- Gun Trusts, published in the Standard Journal July 2013.
- Estate Planning Independence, published in the Standard Journal March 2013.
- Taking Control of Your Legacy, published in the Standard Journal December 2011.
- Personal Representatives, Family Fueds, published in the Standard Journal November 2011.
- The Appeal of Zeal – Zealous Advocacy, published in the Standard Journal November 2013.
- Embracing Litigation, published in the Standard Journal September 2013.
- Winning Communication, published in the Standard Journal April 2013.
- Navigating the Bar, published in the Standard Journal December 2012.
- Appeals – Is the case ever really over?, published in the Standard Journal September 2012.
- Mediation – Not Always the Right Answer, published in the Standard Journal August 2012.
- Lie or Lose or Lie and Lose?, published in the Standard Journal July 2012.
- The Benefits of Courtroom Trials, published in the Standard Journal April 2012.
- The Negatives of Unsupervised Fun – Child Safety, published in the Standard Journal May 2012.
- Indivisible Division, published in the Standard Journal January 2012.
- Are Fireworks Immune from the Legal System?, published in the Standard Journal June 2012.
- Collecting Peace of Mind – FDCPA, published in the Standard Journal October 2011.
- Are March Madness Office Pools Technically Illegal?, published in the Standard Journal March 2012.
- You Need Not Be Afraid of Employment Litigation, Employment Law Workshop, June 2017.
- Negligent Hiring and Retention, Southeast Idaho Society for Human Resource Management, May 2017.
- Healthcare Business Seminar, Seminars Hosted by Cooper Norman, February 2017.
- Estate Litigation, Southeast Idaho Estate Planning Council, August 2015.
- Ethical Deposition Preparation, J. Reuben Clark Law Society, June 2015.
- Deposition Preparation – Lie and Lose, Southeast Idaho Society for Human Resource Management, November 2014.
- Estate Litigation, Idaho State Bar’s Annual Advanced Estate Planning Seminar, September 2014.
- Protecting Business Value Through Non-competes & Firing Non-Productive Employees, KnowledgeShare, October 24, 2013.
- Protecting Business Value Through Non-competes & Firing Non-Productive Employees, Eastern Idaho Home Builders Association, December 19, 2013.
- Improving Trial Skills, Beard St. Clair Gaffney PA, July 9, 2012.
- Idaho State & Federal Bar
- Litigation Section
- Taxation, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Employment & Labor Law Section, Secretary/Treasurer 2017 – 2018
- Idaho Federal Court
- Wyoming State Bar
- North Dakota State Bar
- Washington State Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- Idaho Trial Lawyers Association
- Wealth Counsel
- Better Business Bureau Board Member
- Society for Human Resource Management – Southeast Idaho Chapter
- Beard St. Clair Gaffney PA
- 2004 to Present
- Idaho State Bar
- Wyoming State Bar
- Washington State Bar
- North Dakota State Bar