Business and Employment Law Experience
- Business and Employment Laws encompass everyone in the workplace and the laws governing the employer/employee rights and privileges. Mr. Dümmar understands that the focus of a business owner should be to try to use these laws to their benefit, to improve culture, efficiency, and profit. These include, but are not limited to:
- Proper Policy Handbooks
- Discrimination (e.g. Harassment)
- Non-Compete Agreements
- Hiring, Firing, and Wrongful Termination
- Worker’s Compensation
- FMLA, FLSA, and the ADAAA
- ERISA (Employee Retirement Income Security Act)
- OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration)
Real Estate Law Experience
- Successfully advised and defended business owners involved in employment related issues involving discrimination, sexual harassment, workers compensation, termination and severance, non-compete agreements, FMLA disputes, and wrongful termination suits.
- Reviewed, drafted, and negotiated contractual agreements for the purchase of PLEKO (International Stucco Product whose main competitor was DRYVIT) from international business owners and advised clients on the transfer of ownership of formulas, recipes, works, processes, and other intangible property to his clients (purchasers).
- Strategically helped clients make innovative legal decisions to improve the bottom line, protect client’s assets from creditors, and improve the overall health of companies.
- Successfully navigated business owners through audits by the Federal Wage and Hour Division in a case involving over $500,000 in fines and penalties (2008).
- Successfully navigated business owners through major OSHA violations. He has negotiated with OSHA and been able to reach highly successful resolutions (2008).
- Successfully defended, as co-counsel, business owners against sexual harassment claims in Tampa Florida (2007).
- Successfully defended business owners against a Federal Wage and Hour audit. This audit attempted to reclassify 1099 independent contractors to W2 employees (2007-2008). Dan was able to help clients maintain 1099 status resulting in hundreds of thousands of dollars in payroll taxes.
Health Care Experience
- Dan regularly represents clients in real estate matters, including purchases, sales, refinancing, gifts, boundary agreements, quiet title actions, adverse possession actions, short sale home mortgage representation, judicial and nonjudicial foreclosures, and time share cancellations.
- With respect to time share cancellations, we represent timeshare owners that are struggling to make payments or are victims of fraud. Many people have not calculated the true cost of owning a timeshare. Legitimate timeshare purchases do occur, but we understand that many times, the timeshare representatives/salesperson have to tell you material misrepresentations in order to get you to even consider making the purchase of their timeshare. We know that you rely on what they say on making the purchase, then you find out after the rescission period that it wasn’t like the representative/salesperson said it was.
Estate Planning Experience
- Represents health care providers (e.g. Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, Chiropractors, Dentists, Physician Assistants), small and large group practices navigate the complexity of health care law to maximize profit and limit exposure.
- Creates professional health entities, advised individual health care providers and entities on strategic business/employment decisions, advised physicians on mergers, reviewed physician agreements, and negotiated physician hospital privileges and contracts.
- Represents health care providers navigate their departure from existing practices and their entrance into new practices.
- Dan has helped clients start up health care facilities, such as assisted living centers and residential care facilities. He has taken the lead in providing business and legal advice in helping his clients fully comply with all entity creation requirements, statutory requirements, and Idaho Health and Welfare requirements for licensing of certified family homes, developmental disabilities agencies/Residential Habilitation, and residential care/assisted living facilities.
- He has provided ongoing advice to these health care professionals prepare for Health and Welfare audits and provided strategic planning.
- Dan owned an assisted living center for many years and consequently can provide a unique perspective on owning and growing a health care organizaiton. Having first hand experience as a business owner in this particular area, Dan understands the concerns, risks and complex realities of being successful in the health care industry.
- Teaches Medical Law and Ethics at Brigham Young University – Idaho each semester.
Family Law Experience
- Provides Fundamental Estate Planning, Long-term Care/Medicaid, Probate and Estate Administration, Charitable Planning, Special Needs Trusts, Estate Tax Planning, Business Succession, Asset Protection, Veterans Benefits, and Inheritance Planning.
- When the Idaho National Guard was activated in 2004, Dan provided fundamental Pro-Bono Estate Planning to Idaho soldiers leaving for Iraq.
- Dan owned an assisted living center for many years and understands the difficult realities that Alzheimer’s and Dementia can present to family members when proper estate planning measures have not been taken. Having first hand experience in this particular area of the business world, Mr. Dümmar understands how proper estate planning can secure a comfortable and peaceful life for loved ones when appropriate estate planning tools are used.
- Dan was recognized by the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys (NAFLA) as being one of the top ten family lawyers in Idaho (2014).
- “I work with high-net worth individuals to help them achieve a successful post-marital result that allows them to feel safe, comfortable, and secure. At the same time, I make every effort to protect their rights to their children so they can continue to lead healthy, productive, and confident lives.”
- Litigated and mediated cases for more than a decade. He has successfully litigated issues and/or negotiated settlements involving complex divorce and financial matters, custody, support, division of property, international and domestic adoptions, and termination of parental rights. While his experience includes all facets of family law, his family law practice is focused on the needs of wealthy divorcing individuals and the complex financial issues regarding their estates, business interests, and custodial rights.
- Experience with the Hague Convention and has experience in multi-jurisdictional and international support, valuation, custody, and enforcement matters. He has a variety of international family law clients and has been consulted on matters involving parties’ interests in various states, as well as foreign nations such as Australia, Brazil, Canada, Ecuador, Haiti, Italy, Mexico, Sweden, and Thailand.
- Board of director and advisory board experience sitting on international non-profit companies that own and operate overseas orphanages. He provides legal advice and support to families and companies regarding international adoptions.
Dan has extensive litigation experience. He has represented clients in court, both civilly and criminally, for well over a decade.
Executive/In-House Legal Experience
- Successfully tried a multi-week federal trial involving RICO. All claims against Mr. Dümmar’s client were dismissed.
- Retained as litigation counsel in the Tamarack Foreclosure case in Valley County Idaho. With an estimated foreclosure action of over two hundred and fifty million dollars ($250,000,000), this is one of the largest construction lien foreclosure cases in Idaho history.
- Successfully represented multimillion-dollar security Alarm Company seeking to defend itself against a non-compete lawsuit.
- Successfully represented nationwide construction company, as lead counsel, in construction defect case(s) involving Exterior Insulation Finish System (EIFS) – multimillion-dollar projects (e.g. luxury and high-rise hotels).
- Successfully defended nationwide construction company over multi-million dollar construction defect claims due to discoloration of synthetic stucco in hundreds of single-family homes in the Magic Valley.
- Successfully defended company over copyright violation due to pictures being posted to a website for advertisement purposes.
- Successfully sued Fremont County and settled a federal civil rights case (42 U.S. Code § 1983) over police brutality (e.g. an officer was alleged to have attacked Mr. Dümmar’s client, while his client was handcuffed in the back seat of a police car) See Link – Channel 3 KIDK News – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AepCwse_lIE
- Successfully obtained dismissal of felony charges at the jury trial stage.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of felony charges at the preliminary hearing stage with all charges being dismissed.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of DUI charges.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of felony and misdemeanor drug charges.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of felony and misdemeanor domestic violence charges.
- Directed the Human Resources department for a professional management company with responsibility over 450 exempt and non-exempt employees at multiple office locations from Florida to Texas and the Pacific Northwest.
- Developed and established performance management, progressive discipline policy, recruitment policy guidelines, performance reviews, learning competencies, OHSA safety training, and peak efficiency metric ratings.
- Developed HR grassroots programs to link field units with headquarters and expand corporate headquarter vision to all field offices.
- Expanded internal training initiative and improved leadership and incentive based reward program.
- Re-drafted employment handbook (policy and procedure).
- Streamlined and updated FMLA policies.
- Effectively dealt with discrimination claims.
- Effectively prepared for and successfully navigated business owners through audit by the Federal Wage and Hour Division.
- Handled employment related complaints and lawsuits.
- Negotiated settlement packages.
- Negotiated termination and severance packages.
- Negotiated non-compete agreements.